Monday, February 22, 2010

The cup

About a month ago, my favorite drinking cup had a mishap with gravity and I needed another one. This cup was a piece of pottery from the Seagrove area. It had dented sides that fit my hand perfectly. I bought my other cup several years ago........... and to remember where, out of a couple of dozen potters in the area..........was going to be a brain squeeze. Liz took over camera duty so I could focus all my brain cells on finding the right potter. Liz, with her artistic eye, is an excellent photographer and all the images are hers.
I choose a country route through the rolling hills of the Uwharries which took us through Coleridge. Coleridge was a cotton mill community on the Deep river. The mill is no longer producing cotton products or a community....................only photo opportunities.
When we approached the Seagrove area, I knew it was going to be a hit and miss endeavor. Each potter store we explored, I quickly scanned for the cups while Liz was chasing light with her camera. After several false alarms, I recognized "Hard Times pottery" as the place I remembered..........except........it was closed.
I hesitated to leave and wondered, sense this was a private residence, the owner may be sitting in her kitchen......... watching us with binoculars.........trying to decide, are they buyers or lookers. I tried to look as disappointed as I could. I imagined I just found out I was adopted and my parents are from the South Bronx and has never had grits or fried bologna. After a few moments, a car pulled up........and it was the owner.
She had three cups left and one fit perfectly. On the way home, I was thinking that Liz and I just had a wonderful treasure hunt. I found two treasures.....a cup........and another........"remember that time".......with Liz.









3 comments:

  1. Rick, you really have a good folksy way or writing. It's just like you were talking to me. I'm really enjoying this. I think you should do one of the ball field up at Roan Mt.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post. It's enjoyable all over again to remember our trip as you tell it. Thanks for the photo credits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it! Keep up the good work, Rick!

    ReplyDelete