Saturday, February 20, 2010

Entertainment at Johnsons

Going to Johnsons for their cheeseburgers is worth the trip alone.............but the entertainment is an added bonus.
The show is a traditional southern event called "who are you?" and is often performed in small local diners, especially if you are from out of town..........you become the star of the show. As I stood at the end of the bar to take an overall photograph of the interior, the person at the end of the bar asked, Who are you with?........a newspaper or a magazine?..........My innocent answer was,"just for me, just for fun." Immediately, the person to his left threw an elbow into his side with the question,"what he say?" The elbows continued down the line until everyone sitting at the bar knew it was just for me, just for fun. I felt like I did when I was a kid and our family would go see our relatives after church on Sunday. I would have to go to the bathroom and prayed I wouldn't fart out loud.
Liz and I sat at the bar where the person on both Liz's right and my left asked,"Who are you?" Liz's friend grew up in Siler City, was in his late 60's and was the baseball coach at his high school. My bar friend was a middle age woman, moved to Siler City 30 years ago from somewhere else. Two years after she moved to Siler City, she lost her husband. He died on duty as a policeman on Christmas night. She is a regular at Johnsons and everybody knew her . She elbowed me(as a rule, always start with an elbow to the side) and pointed to a couple of motorcycle dudes and asked, I wonder who they are and where they are from?" I said, Why don't you go ask them?" She was off her stool before I could finished my sentence and in only a few moments created a group laugh with total strangers. There are no strangers at Johnsons.







2 comments:

  1. Well written Rick. I enjoyed your adventure. You'll have to take me some time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting and well written article and great pictures as usual. You could be one of those reporters who write travel articles for newspapers and magazines. Don't think they would let you talk about farts though!

    ReplyDelete